Nothing beats a fresh, delicious, authentic taco when you’re craving the flavors of Mexico. We can honestly say that any taco is a good taco, but sometimes you come across a restaurant that really gets it right when it comes to the perfect taco creation. We polled you – our readers – to find the top places for tasty tacos in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky and all we can say is: bring on the taco fiesta!
BEST TACOS: READER PICKS
- Mazunte: Oakley – When we asked for the best taco place in town, Mazunte was a HUGE fan favorite! We can’t say that we blame you – our experience there was amazing and we are looking forward to going back. Many folks noted the salsa bar, and it’s definitely delicious. Overall, a fantastic taco experience.
- Bakersfield: OTR – Another huge fan pick was Bakersfield. Famous for serving authentic Mexican street fare, you will definitely be able to find a new favorite among the delicious selection of authentic tacos.
- Nada: Downtown – We’d be remiss if we left Nada off of this list. With selections like Fried Avocado and Señor Mu Shu, you’ll be left craving more.
- Frida 602: Covington – We know this post is about tacos, but we can’t mention Frida without telling you try the Queso. It’s life changing. Okay, now back to the tacos. There’s something for everyone when it comes to Frida’s tacos: Fish, braised beef, roasted chicken and then some truly creative options like Brussel’s sprouts (trust us, it’s delicious!)
- Taqueria Mercado: Downtown – Are you hungry yet? Because if you weren’t already, Taqueria Mercado will seal the deal. Choose your meat (seasoned pork and beef brisket are favorites) and they’ll top it with onions, cilantro and lime. Add beans and rice, and don’t forget the margarita!
- Tacos Locos: Pleasant Ridge — This food truck was brought to our attention by Misfit Jay from 94.9, and we’re so glad he did because we’re planning a trip for tortas and tacos immediately. Our glance at Yelp gave us nothing but taco envy and a serious hunger. With everything from traditional pork and chicken to vegetarian options, this truck – set up in Pleasant Ridge near the corner of Montgomery and Ridge – is a taco lover’s dream come true.
BEST TACOS: STAFF PICKS
- Gomez Salsa: OTR – Known for the chips and salsa, Gomez is a tasty stop downtown in OTR. Tacos range from your classic slow roasted beef to beer-battered mahi mahi and tofu. **Staff suggestion: Order your tacos and salsa then head over to Halfcut OTR right next door and grab a cold brew. They’ll deliver your food to Halfcut OTR. Taco delight!
- Jefferson Social: The Banks – Jefferson Social is a great stop for a delicious meal before or after a game downtown, or before a stroll down to Smale Riverfront Park. **Staff suggestion: Try the Taconey (braised Cincinnati chili short rib, all beef hog dog, mustard, crema, pico de gallo, cheddar cheese and house taco sauce) or the Roasted Seasonal Vegetable (roasted vegetables with avocado crema and cotiga cheese).
- Gutierrez Deli: Covington – Not a restaurant, but great for take out and there are a few picnic tables for al fresco dining. If you like authentic and delicious, give them a try. If you love to find hidden gems around town, this is a must!
- Taco Casa: Hyde Park – Taco Casa makes it easy to get exactly the taco you’ve been dreaming about. Soft flour tortilla or hard shell corn taco filled with your favorite: seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken, chorizo, ground turkey, refried beans (for the vegetarians) or tuna. Top with your favorite taco sauce, lettuce, cheese and tomatoes — perfection. Taco Casa has multiple locations: Walnut Hills, Hyde Park, Norwood and Harper’s Point.
- Django Western Taco: Northside – Can’t finish up our list without Django Western Taco. Mix and match your tacos and get more bang for your buck! We like the BBQ Chicken and Shrimp tacos, but you really can’t go wrong with any of the delicious choices on the menu.