Whether you have been on 50 dates with your special someone, or are heading out for that all-important first date, there are some things that are considered the “Golden Rules” for date nights. You might think that some of them are no-brainers, but in the interest of helping make every single date night experience the best it can be from beginning to end, we’re going to throw out a few ‘Date Night Tips’ that we think everyone should abide by when on a date night.
1. Turn off your cell phone. It’s easy in this day and age to feel the need to constantly be connected. Unless you are expecting an emergency call, or have children in the care of a sitter, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t completely turn your phone off and focus on each other for the evening. You’ll be surprised how much you’ll have to talk about when the distraction of Facebook or email isn’t beckoning.
2. Make a reservation. Whether it is a special occasion or not, you don’t want to get caught with a lengthy wait time or no table at all. Play it safe and call to make a reservation when possible.
3. Be on time. First date or 50th, no one wants to be kept waiting. If traffic could play a factor, leave a few minutes earlier than usual. Better a few minutes early than late, making your date worry!
4. If it’s a first date, forgo the movie for something that will allow you to talk and get to know one another. Movie dates are great, but when you are trying to get to know each other sitting in silence in a theater for two hours isn’t the way to start.
5. If you are taking your date out for dinner at a fine dining restaurant, brush up on your fine dining etiquette beforehand. Check out our Guide to Restaurant Tipping.
6. Be prepared – make sure you know where you are going, have cash for parking and tips, have an address for picking up your date, know show times, etc. before heading out of the house.
7. Chivalry is not dead (or doesn’t have to be anyway) and that applies to everyone. Open doors, all of them from car doors to restaurant doors. Make sure your date is comfortable. Treat your date like he/she is a VIP for the night.
8. Be an active participant in your conversations. What you say is as important as what you hear. Being a good conversationalist is important to a relationship, so whether you are feeling the flutterings of first love, or an ‘old married couple’ this rule will always apply!
9. Look your best. Dress appropriately for your date (no one expects you to wear a suit and tie or dress and heals for a picnic at the park) but always look your best. Dates are special occasions, whether they take place at the park or a 5-star restaurant. Make an effort to look your best for your date. We promise, it won’t go unnoticed.
10. Simply enjoy your time together. Reservation mix-up? Flat tire on the way to the theater? Unexpected weather ruins your plans? That’s okay! The important thing about date night is that you are spending time with an important person in your life, getting to know them, connecting, sharing and enjoying each other. That old saying applies here as it does in many other areas of life –When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Don’t let spoiled plans ruin your time together, instead find the bright side and be flexible. Date night out can turn into date night in so easily when you keep a positive attitude and decide to have fun no matter what happens.
What tips do you have for a great date night? Share in the comments!