Take a One-Tank Trip This Weekend: Where to Eat, What to Do and Where to Stay in Columbus
Even for the most adventurous daters, keeping the spark alive during the cold winter months can be a challenge. If you’re feeling a bit of cabin fever, planning a “one-tank trip” can be a great way for you and your partner to shake up your usual dating routine by exploring everything that a different city has to offer!
This month, we’re spotlighting some of the best places to eat, stay and play in Columbus, Ohio.
Where to Eat:
The Refectory offers contemporary American and classic French cuisine along with a world-class wine cellar featuring more than 700 selections. Housed in a former church with soaring ceilings and stained-glass windows, The Refectory’s relaxed atmosphere makes it an ideal destination for an intimate evening that goes above and beyond.
Martini Modern Italian specializes in creative interpretations of classic Italian dishes, served in a sophisticated space with chandeliers and dramatic columns. Made-from-scratch pasta and an extensive wine list that blends the best of Italy and California help to make Martini Modern Italian a timeless spot for a date night.
Other Places to Eat:
- If you’re taking a day trip, Katalina’s is an all-day café known for its down-home breakfasts and quirky dishes. Be sure to try out creative menu items like the Pancake Balls, Sweet ‘N’ Spicy Bacon and Breakfast Tacos.
- Brassica is a fast-casual restaurant serving meals inspired by eastern Mediterranean cuisine that has won numerous accolades since opening in 2015.
- After enjoying your meal, Le Chocoholique is your best bet for dessert. Featuring artisan chocolates, pastries, gelato and dessert cocktails—as well as a full bar—it’s the perfect place to end an intimate date night.
What to Do:
The Short North Arts District is considered the “art and soul” of Columbus thanks to its vibrant culture of art, dining, nightlife and fashion. You and your date will have a great time exploring Short North’s quirky boutiques offering antiques, furniture and vintage fashion, or wandering through streets full of colorful public art. If you’re looking to make it an exceptional evening, plan to attend “Gallery Hop” held the first Saturday of every month, when thousands gather in the District to celebrate art through new gallery exhibitions, street performers, food and more.
COSI Columbus Science Center isn’t just for kids! You and your date will have a great time rediscovering the kid inside through fun and interactive exhibits like Life, Progress, and Space. Even better, the first Thursday of every month is “COSI After Dark,” a 21+ event where you and your date will be able to geek out at the museum with other grownups while enjoying special themed activities and a cash bar.
Other Things to Do:
- Easton Town Center, dubbed “the Rodeo Drive of the Midwest,” offers a high-end shopping experience with stores like Burberry, Coach and Kate Spade.
- The Columbus Museum of Art recently opened the Margaret M. Walter wing, a new space featuring modern and contemporary art that is garnering rave reviews from visitors and critics alike.
- Located at the heart of Bicentennial Park, the Scioto Mile Fountain is an architectural marvel. Be sure to grab a photo with your date by the fountain at night, when it is illuminated with stunning lighting and fog effects.
Where to Stay:
If you and your date are looking to turn your one-tank trip into a true getaway, the Hawthorne Park Bed & Breakfast offers a wonderful, cozy alternative just three miles outside of Columbus. Make your date night extra romantic by signing up for a Deluxe Celebration Package that includes chocolate, champagne and roses. If you’re looking to make the memories of your special getaway last forever, you can even opt for a photography package that includes a mini-session with a local professional photographer.
If you’re looking for something closer to town, plan to stay at Le Meridien Columbus, The Joseph to make your trip one of a kind. This artistically inspired boutique hotel features chic guestrooms and spa suites that make it a perfect relaxing destination for couples just looking to get away.
Other Places to Stay:
- The German Village Guest House is a quiet bed and breakfast located in the heart of one of the most storied neighborhoods in Columbus.
- The Lofts Hotel is a trendy boutique hotel with luxurious accommodations that is conveniently located within the lively Arena District. Make your stay even more relaxing by opting for a Fifth Avenue Romance package that includes two 30-minute in-room massages, a rose petal turndown, champagne and more.
Of course, these are just a few of the many options available to daters looking to explore “The Arch City.” No matter what you decide to do, sometimes all it takes is a trip made on a single tank of gas to reignite the spark and rediscover the fun and spontaneity of dating in a different city.