Who says that Halloween costumes are only for kids and trick or treating? Halloween parties are a great date night out, and creating the perfect couple costume idea can be even more fun than the party! We’ve put together a list of classic and creative couples costume ideas to make it easy to find the perfect match for you and your favorite Halloween date!
- Something Strange or Alien – Never forget the infamously viral Area 51 raid on Facebook. There is plenty of room for creativity and interpretation for this costume too.
- Pokémon Trainers – The newest game, Sword and Shield, is almost here and everyone is ready to catch them all!
- Ghostbusters – Because…who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! Plus — proton pack!
- Game of Thrones – Just because the ending was not the best to say the least doesn’t mean you and your date can’t dress up as your favorite couple from the series.
- Jasmine and Aladdin – You can never go wrong with a Disney princess and her prince live action or animated!
- The Harry Potter Cast – The new Harry Potter app, Wizards Unite, has added a bit of magic and whimsy to everyone’s daily lives.
- Anything Marvel – With Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man Away From Home still on everyone’s minds, why not be something super?
- Morticia and Gomez Addams – They’re #relationshipgoals. Enough said.
- Bob Ross and a Painting of a Tree – Quirky, silly and easy to pull off. And really, who doesn’t love a happy little tree?
CARTOON COUPLES COSTUME IDEAS:
- Peter Pan and Tinkerbell
- Elsa and Olaf
- Snow White/Sleeping Beauty/Cinderella and her Prince
- Fred and Wilma Flintstone
- Popeye and Olive Oyl
- Jack Skellington and Sally
- Charlie Brown and Lucy
- Buzz Lightyear and Jessie from Toy Story
- Any of your childhood favorite characters – Doug as Quailman and Patty Mayonnaise, Spongebob and Patrick, Rugrats, Mickey and Minnie, and the list goes on and on!
CLASSIC MONSTER COUPLES COSTUME IDEAS:
- Frankenstein and His Bride
- Morticia and Gomez Addams
- Dracula and his Victim
- Red Riding Hood and The Wolf
- Zombie Anything – your favorite The Walking Dead characters, or zombie bride and groom…this is a great last minute idea, no special costumes needed – just some thrift store clothing (ripped and shredded). Add some “grave dirt”, zombie makeup, and a blank, brain hungry stare and you are ready to go!
MOVIE CHARACTER COUPLES COSTUME IDEAS:
- A Starlet and an Oscar Statue
- Wayne and Garth
- Beetlejuice and Lydia
- Sandy and Danny (Grease)
- The Castaway and Wilson
- Buddy the Elf and Jovie
- Alice and The White Rabbit
- Morticia and Gomez Addams
- Baby and Johnny Castle (Dirty Dancing) – Possibly the easiest costume on the list. For her – cut off jean shorts, cuffed at the knee, a button down shirt tied at the waist and some white tennis shoes. For him, black tank top and jeans and a pair of black Wayfarer sunglasses. All of that dancing will surely kick-start your romantic night out too!
RETRO COUPLES COSTUME IDEAS:
- Lucy and Ricky Ricardo
- I Dream of Jeannie and Major Tony Nelson
- A Puppet/Ventriloquist Dummy and his/her Master
- Buddy Holly and Mary Tyler Moore
- Pin Up Girl and a Photographer
- Gatsby and Daisy
- The Famous ‘Times Square Kiss’ couple
- 1980’s Prom Dates – Another great idea when you get invited to a party at the last minute. Thrift stores are teeming with old ‘80’s prom dresses and a cheesy suit is easy enough to come by. Add some big hair and you are good to go!
HISTORICAL/FAMOUS COUPLES COSTUME IDEAS:
- Cleopatra and Julius Caesar
- Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley
- Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe
- Bonnie and Clyde
- Elvis and Priscilla
- JFK and Jackie O
- Any Greek or Roman God and Goddess – Again, super easy to throw together and always fun! Everyone loves a toga, add some cheap gold trim from the craft or fabric store, make a laurel crown (dollar store silk flowers/leaves and gold spray paint), and any other accessories you like. There are tons of great videos on how to wrap a toga using a bed sheet, we found these on Youtube: http://bit.ly/1DiuhwA — instant costume!
SCI-FI & FANDOMS COUPLES COSTUME IDEAS:
- The Doctor and a Companion (Dr. Who)
- Sheldon and Amy Farrah Fowler (Big Bang Theory)
- Captain Kirk and Uhura (or any random alien female)
- The Joker and Harley Quinn
- Princess Leia and Han (or Slave Leia and Jabba!)
- Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane
- Xena and Hercules
- This is one of those categories that could go on and on – some are easier than others (Clark Kent and Lois Lane could be as simple as you want to make it…just add those dark rimmed, GI issue looking glasses and you’re good to go). There are so many Sci-Fi and Fantasy fandoms out there the possibilities are endless. Do you and your sweetie have a favorite movie? Play off of that and have fun!
OUT-OF-THE-ORDINARY COUPLES COSTUME IDEAS:
- A bar of soap and a loofah
- Progressive girl Flo and Mayhem
- Paula Deen and a Stick of Butter
- Bacon and Eggs – This would be really easy to create at home with EVA foam or cardboard
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Google map and the ‘You are Here’ Destination tag
- A lightening bolt and his/her victim
- The Tooth Fairy and a Tooth
- Beer Pong (one dresses as the cup, the other as the ping pong ball)
- A Painting and the Artist
- Another category where anything goes! A Starbucks cup and Pumpkin Spice? Bacon and Eggs? A cookie and a glass of milk? Peanut M&M’s and Plain M&M’s? What’s your favorite combination? Turn that into a costume!
Halloween costume prep is a great way to spend time with your date. Have fun, get creative and enjoy your Halloween! We found tons of unique ideas on Pinterest! Check out this board for inspiration, and then share your best costumes ideas in the comments: Couples Halloween Costumes.