Happy New Year! Many of us have made New Year’s resolutions with an eye towards working out more and getting healthy or fit but we wonder how to fit that into an already busy schedule without sacrificing time spent with our special someone. Make your workout a “date” by including your spouse or special someone and experts say you’ll be stronger both physically and as a couple! You already know that having an exercise buddy keeps you accountable, makes you work harder than you might on your own, and gives you a better attitude than when you work out solo. Making your workout a “date” gives you and your sweetheart a chance to work towards something together while having fun, trying new activities and experiences, and gets those happy endorphins pumping – making your outlook on everything that much brighter!
We’ve rounded up some couples workout tips to help you and your partner reach your fitness goals together!
- Always be supportive. Anything you do becomes easier and more fun when you have the support of your loved ones. Especially if you’re starting off at different fitness levels, always encourage your partner to do their best and applaud their efforts as much as their accomplishments. Not everyone can run a 7-minute mile first time on the track, and getting those yoga poses just right takes practice. Knowing your partner is your biggest cheerleader makes all the difference in going that extra mile and holding that pose just a little longer.
- Pick compatible activities. You like the elliptical machine and your honey loves the weight bench. You don’t have to be doing the same activity at the same time. There’s no reason why you can’t share the space while doing different activities. It’s more about sharing the experience than the step-by-step process.
- Be open to trying new things. Ever tried zumba? Do those yoga poses look like they take a contortionist to perform properly? Think that lifting weights are just NOT for you? Be open to checking out new activities, especially if your date is a huge fan. You might find a new favorite workout routine!
- Speaking of trying new things – learn something new together! There are so many activities you can do as a couple, pick one and dive in. Tennis, hiking, spin classes, and the list goes on and on. Learning something new together is a wonderful relationship building activity, and again – you might find a new favorite!
- Be an equal partner. Everyone has different fitness goals and needs and everyone has a different fitness M.O. Some like to chat to make the time pass quickly, some prefer the super pumped up playlist on their iPod. Your partner might be training for a half marathon while you are only working on the couch to 5K plan. Be respectful and equal partner by making sure that both of your needs get met. Spend your warm-up walk chatting about your day then slip on the ear-buds for the rest of your run.
Working out together can be a fantastic way to make your relationship stronger than ever. Have fun, try something new, and above all be each other’s biggest supporter!