Kick the holiday season off with the perfect downtown holiday date – Macy’s Light Up the Square!
More than just a simple tree-lighting event, Macy’s Light Up the Square, on Friday, November 25 – Black Friday – is an opportunity to spend the whole day with your special someone, celebrating the official start of the holiday season downtown – with style!
If you’ve never been before, we’ll give you the lowdown on what to expect, where to go, and what to see while you are on your Macy’s Light Up the Square date.
Plan your day:
- The Fountain Square Ice Rink opens at 9 am. Take a few turns around the rink to get your day started. You might also enjoy grabbing a coffee or breakfast from Graeter’s or Hathaway’s downtown before you get started.
- The Cincideutsch Christkindlmarkt opens at 11 am. Do a little holiday shopping! Peruse the vendors, including local artisans, and enjoy the traditional German fare and Glühwein (hot spiced wine).
- Spend the whole day on Fountain Square or hop the Cincinnati Bell Connector and ride uptown to Over the Rhine. Enjoy lunch and a stroll around Washington Park. If you want to plan ahead, check out our list of delicious OTR restaurants that are perfect for dates.
- Make your way back to Fountain Square to get a prime spot to enjoy the Naked Karate Girls when they take the stage at 6 pm.
- The official tree lighting takes place at 7:25 pm, followed by a fireworks display. Snuggle up close and enjoy the show. Then stay tuned – the Naked Karate Girls will be back for an encore performance at 7:40 pm.
- Do some last minute shopping before the Cincideutsch Christkindlmarkt closes at 9 pm.
- Finish up your evening with dessert and coffee at Palomino or Via Vite, or an appetizer and cold beer at Rock Bottom. Then take another spin around the Fountain Square Ice Rink before it closes at 11 pm.
Can’t get enough of downtown holiday fun? Head downtown on Saturday, November 26, December 3, or December 10 for Macy’s Downtown Dazzle! Watch Santa rappel down the side of the Huntington Center at 525 Vine St. to the Macy’s rooftop at Fountain Square, then stick around to enjoy a holiday-themed fireworks display and holiday music from local choirs.
So save the date – Macy’s Light Up the Square and Macy’s Downtown Dazzle are sure to make for holiday date perfection!