First dates can be nerve-wracking, especially if you aren’t well-acquainted. It can be hard to “break the ice” when you first meet and are trying to make a good impression on your date. Finding a topic that allows you both to share, get to know one another and keep the conversation flowing is important. Try out our 10 first date night icebreakers, and you’ll find yourselves lost in conversation in no time!
- Childhood heroes – We all had them growing up. Superman to Marie Curie – “Who did you want to be when you grew up?” Childhood memories are a great way to connect and find common ground.
- Hit the lottery – We all have a plan for when we hit the lottery or make it big. “What would you do if you won a million dollars?” Quit your job and travel the world? Start your own business? Maybe you both share the same dreams.
- Dream job – Some of us are lucky to have our dream jobs, and some of us are still waiting for that golden opportunity. “If every job paid the same wage and you could do anything – what would your job be?” You might be surprised what your date’s idea of a dream job really is.
- Hit the road – Maybe you are already a seasoned traveler, and maybe you’re still waiting for that perfect time to hit the road. “If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?” Maybe you both share a love of travel and dreams of seeing the world.
- Go back in time – “If you were given a time machine that could travel anywhere through space and time – where would you go and why?” Back in time to meet your great-great-great grandfather? Through space to see the creation of the universe? Who knows where the conversation will take you.
- Guess who is coming for dinner – “If you could have dinner with any person – past, present, or future – who would it be?” Would you love to meet Marco Polo or Alexander the Great? Or perhaps you’d rather find out what it’s like to chat with Beyonce? You can tell a lot about a person from the company they choose to keep.
- Book-lovers unite – “What is the best book you’ve ever read?” If you read a novel a week and your date thinks fiction is for the birds, it might be a deal-breaker. However – you might find you share a love of historical fiction, fantasy, or all of the above.
- American Idol – “What’s your favorite song to sing in the shower?” Admit it – we all turn into Trace Adkins or Katie Perry in the privacy of our showers. When you’re serenading the shampoo bottles, what’s your go-to tune of choice? Does it depend on the day or your mood?
- Get quirky — Even the most straight-laced person has a quirk or two. “What would you say are your quirks?” Quirks are what make us different and unique. Embrace your quirks and don’t be afraid to share – you’ll find that you are in good company.
- Furry friends – “If you could own any animal as a pet, what would it be?” Lions, tiger, bears? If the possibilities were endless – which furry friend would you bring home?
It may sound cliché, or unnecessary, but having a few icebreakers in your conversation arsenal can really take your first date game to a new level. Do you have any tried and true first date icebreaker topics that work for you to get the conversation going? Share with us in the comments.